Sunday, January 2, 2011

Graham Cracker Architecture


My wonderful friend, Laura (who just had a baby on Halloween), invited us to make graham cracker houses this year.  It was a great way to get excited about the Holidays.  It's a little tricky here in San Antonio where it's warm and dry (no snow) all the time.  It never really felt like Christmas without the cold and snow. 

Laura is a culinary genius.  She is always making yummy treats.  She made the most delicious frosting/glue for our houses.  It held really well and tasted DIVINE.  I think I consumed more than actually went into creating my house :-)


lots of snow :-)
I really had no inspiration going into the project but thought it would be fun to test out a triangular design.  Little did I know how difficult the roof would prove to be.  My house ended up being tree-house inspired.  One of the Elders in our ward told me I should be an architect because it reminded him of Frank Lloyd Wright's work.  I think he must be a bit crazy, but I do love architecture!

collin and the alamo inspired graham cracker house
Collin went with an Alamo inspired design.  Perfect for our location.  Didn't he do a GREAT job?  Who knew the ipod app creator was so creative and inventive?  He must not like to brag about it since his wife is also so creative- he lets her take all the glory (what a good guy)!

when will he ever just smile for a picture?
And WOW... sometimes Josh really surprises me.  You'd think I should know most of his talents by now, but he keeps throwing new ones at me.  He got really into this project.  He was so serious and focused as he was constructing.  It was cute (even though he kept stealing my graham crackers and tools).  His house is Dr. Seuss inspired.  We've been reading a lot of Dr. Seuss books to "Dude" lately.  His make-believe world must be rubbing off on Josh :-)  I think it looks kind of like a train.  Either way, it's totally awesome!! 
 
the yummy treats


simple, classic, very martha stewart
Laura worked away quietly and blew us all away.  She did all of this with little Julia strapped to her.  Somehow she managed to finish way before all of us and totally show us all up.  She was working at the kitchen island instead of the table so she could stand, and Collin thinks she had it prepared ahead of time and busted it out at the end making us think she did it all that night.  It's such a classic design.  It looks like it belongs in a Martha Steward magazine.  Go Laura!
 
dr. seuss inspired (i think it looks kind of like a train)

i think the ladder is my favorite part

the lovely laura & julia


Thanks Laura & Collin for sharing the Christmas spirit with us!! 

5 comments:

McKae @ Kaes Corner Design said...

Brother Julander would be very impressed!

Bethany Sines said...

i wanna see pics of your cute belly! the due date is approaching so fast!! how do you feel?

Lau said...

Thank you guys for coming!!! It was so fun :) We all did so great :) haha.

Stucki Family said...

Ok, that is crazy ironic...my name is Laura, I am your friend and I had a baby on Halloween....but I was not the host of this amazing Graham Cracker night. lol

Awesome houses!

~Laura

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. We never got around to making our gingerbread houses this year.